How to Register for Non-Matriculated Courses
To register for a non-matriculated course, please follow the steps below. Payment must be received before you are registered and can begin the course.
Please note: The University of Rochester will require all non-matriculated students who are taking an in-person course for the 2021-22 academic year starting with the Fall 2021 semester to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination prior to registration. See details about how to meet the COVID vaccination requirement.
If you are planning on using financial aid, you will need to contact our financial aid counselor to discuss options and receive confirmation that you will be approved. Financial aid may be available if certain criteria are met, including:
- Must enroll for a minimum of six credits in courses that are prerequisites for entry into a degree program at the University of Rochester or another institution. Note: Coursework to improve GPA/grade or that is required for completing a degree is not considered a "prerequisite" for entry.
- Must receive prior academic approval for planned coursework.
If you meet these criteria, or want to discuss financial aid options, please schedule an appointment with our Financial Aid Counselor.
How to Register for a Non-Matriculated Course
Register and pay by clicking the Registration button. Payment must be received before you are registered and can begin the course.
If you haven't already, check out the books listed on the course description page.
In 2 to 3 days, you will receive an email from SON_HelpBB@urmc.rochester.edu with your Student ID# and temporary password needed to complete your NetID verification.
Once this is verified, complete onboarding in our student information system, UR Student.
Dropping or Adding Courses
To drop or add a course, you should fill out a drop/add form available from the SON Registrar's Office or for an online course, email the registrar at SONRegistrar@urmc.rochester.edu. Please note:
- See the School of Nursing's refund schedule for information about financial implications of dropping a course. There are no refunds on Online Prerequisite Courses.
- Courses added after the first day of classes require instructor's permission.
- Courses dropped after the drop/add deadline will appear on the official transcript as "withdrawn failing" or "withdrawn passing."
- Courses dropped after the withdrawal deadline will be recorded as "E."
Information for UR Employees
For University tuition benefits policies and forms, visit the tuition benefits homepage. The tuition waiver form alone does not register you for a course; you must still complete the Non-Matriculated Registration form. Courses covered under the University of Rochester's tuition benefits package must be completed with a satisfactory grade in order for the course to be paid for by the University.
Courses that are not dropped prior to the first day of classes will be paid for by the student according to the University's refund schedule.
In addition, taking an incomplete in a course will result in the course not being paid for until the course is complete - late fees and account holds may result. UR tuition benefits are limited to courses completed within six months after the end of the course.
Please note: If you are utilizing tuition benefits for graduate or non-credit courses, your courses may be taxable. Please visit the Taxability of Employee Tuition Benefits webpage for information to help you determine whether graduate tuition assistance benefits are taxable and how much tax will be withheld from your paycheck.