How to Submit an Application
The School of Nursing has a self-managed online application.
Applicants to degree programs are required to assemble and submit a complete application to the Admissions Office by midnight of the deadline. Applicants interested in registering for a non-matriculated course need to register online using a different application process.
Only those completed applications received (or post-marked) by the deadline will be considered for admission. Applications received after a deadline or that are incomplete may be rolled over to the next appropriate deadline by applicant request.
Please reach out to the Admissions Office (585) 275-2375 with questions or updates pertaining to your application. Refer to program pages for specific deadlines for admissions cycles.
Application Requirements for Degree Programs
Below is a list of items you may need to compete your online application for degree programs. Since application requirements can vary by degree program, we suggest reviewing the application requirements for your specific program. These can be found listed on the individual program page.
In general, we may require:
- Non-refundable application fee of $50 (USD) is required for some programs when you submit your application (fee is waived for University of Rochester alumni and other select student populations, please reference our FAQ page.)
- Official Transcripts. Official transcripts are required from all previously attended institutions in order to evaluate your coursework. In some instances, a course syllabus may also be requested to evaluate transfer credit. (If your coursework was taken at the University of Rochester School of Nursing, you do not need to request an official transcript.) Please make sure to have transcripts sent to the University of Rochester School of Nursing, NOT the University of Rochester, for both paper and electronic transcripts as described above. It is also helpful to note on your application if your transcripts will be under a different last name. Official electronic transcripts must be sent by the registrar’s office at the credit-awarding institution through a student clearinghouse approved agency, such as parchment. International applicants for all programs must have transcripts evaluated either through WES or ECS.
- Please send all official electronic transcripts to: email@example.com.
- Official transcripts may also be mailed directly to:
- University of Rochester School of Nursing
601 Elmwood Ave
BOX SON, Admissions Office
Rochester, NY 14642
- University of Rochester School of Nursing
- Letters of recommendation from members of the academic community and/or workplace professionals who can speak to your qualifications are required. At least two letters are required for accelerated programs for non-nurses and master’s applicants. Three are required for doctoral applicants. Official letters of recommendation are managed through the online application, and may be edited by the recommender before, or after, submission of your application.
- A professional goal statement is required for some program applications. Please refer to the specific program requirements, or application portal for directions on how to develop your professional goal statement. The statement is limited to under 500 words. You can upload a document, or type directly into the online application. You may also upload a copy of your professional goal statement following submission of your application through your application portal.
- Current résumé or curriculum vitae should be uploaded into your portal after submission of your application.
- A writing sample is required for some programs. This must be written in English and may be an academic paper from your earlier academic work, clinical document (if applicable, not a care plan or PowerPoint doc.), publication, or other written work using APA format. This document may be uploaded through your portal.
- Additional admission and certification requirements apply for some programs and must accompany your application. Please review the application requirements listed on each program page.
- Applicants to the PhD program are required to submit GRE scores within the last five years.
- Nursing or clinical licensure in a health profession, as well as other certifications, may also be required for specific programs.
- Test Scores. For many of our programs, we do not require entrance examinations as part of the application to the University of Rochester School of Nursing. If you have taken the GRE already and wish to submit your score, we will be happy to evaluate it as part of your application. Applicants who are interested in applying to the PhD program are required to submit GRE scores. The GRE code for the University of Rochester School of Nursing is 2928.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for international applicants who are non-native English speakers. The TOEFL code for the School of Nursing is 2928. We encourage you to take the TOEFL early so we have time to receive your scores directly from the testing agency. Sorry, photocopies or faxes will not be accepted. Preferred minimum scores on the TOEFL are 560 (paper-based), 230 (computer-based) or 88 (iBT). International applicants should also refer to our international applicants’ webpage for more information.
Manage Your Application
Upon submission of your online application, you may log back into your account to view your application portal. From your portal, you can manage your references, view the status of your supplemental application materials, as well as upload select items required for review.