Why Choose the MNE Program?
Nursing is both an art and a science. So is teaching. Both disciplines require passion and compassion, but also careful research and best practices. In today’s increasingly complex health care environment, there is a growing need for experienced nurses who are trained to teach the next generation of health care professionals in an academic or clinical setting.
The Nursing Education program from the University of Rochester School of Nursing is a multidisciplinary master’s program designed for experienced working nurses who want to transition to a teaching role, either as a nurse educator or in patient safety and education. By earning your Master of Science degree in nursing education, you can change your career path without changing careers, which will broaden your opportunities for advancement and allow for a more regular work schedule.
Learn the proven methods and technologies of effective teaching through a series of hybrid courses (a blend of online and in-person) and then drive those lessons home through real-world interactions and observations. The Nursing Education program employs a cognitive apprenticeship model, in which students learn by observing, practicing, reflecting, and participating within a community of nurse educators.
Program Requirements and Application Process
Start your online application today. The Nursing Education program is designed for experienced nurses with a bachelor’s degree in nursing. The full list of admission requirements includes:
- a bachelor’s degree in nursing from an accredited college or university
- licensure as a professional registered nurse
- cumulative GPA of 3.0 preferred
- CPR certification
- statistics course with a grade C or above
- personal statement of your goals related to teaching and learning in an educational or clinical setting
- writing sample (prior term paper, published article)
- two references that address teaching potential
- personal interview(s) with program faculty members
- one year of clinical experience is preferred
- for international students, TOEFL with a minimum score of 560 (paper-based), 230 (computer-based) or 88 (iBT)